Appliance Safety


A lot of house holders in Cwmbran and Abergavenny often call me to ask if there is a problem with their electricity supply. Understandably they are not sure if it is safe to continue to use their electrical appliances or if they should call an electrician. The simplest advice is if you suspect a problem with an electrical appliance, unplug and stop using it immediately, however if you suspect there is a problem with your actual electrical installation then consult a local qualified electrician who will be happy to come and take a look.


Many electrical fires are caused in homes in the UK through careless use of electrical appliances. This means that often electrical fires can be easily prevented by making a few common sense precautions when using electrical appliances. I have drawn up an essential list of electrical safety tips which should be adhered to by any householder. It does not require any expenditure in many cases. Remember, if in doubt do not take risks and consult an electrician as soon as possible. The sooner the problem is rectified, the cheaper it is to repair.


Important Electrical Safety Tips:

  • Do not pull electrical appliances out of sockets by the cable, always pull out of the socket using the plug. This avoids any damage to the flex.
  • Never plug adaptors into adapters. In fact, avoid block adapters completely and use extension leads. The same rule applies though, never plug an extension lead into an extension lead, and limit the use of extension leads where possible.
  • Do not exceed the Amps shown ( for example 3kW is around 12 Amps) on the extension lead, think carefully about what appliances you plug into an extension lead.
  • Turn off electrical appliances when not in use. This is especially important over night as a fire could start undetected from an appliance that is still plugged in. When you go away on vacation, ensure that all non-essential items are unplugged to minimise the risk of electrical fire and to save energy.
  • Do not use any electrical items in the bathroom, as this is highly dangerous, particularly hair dryers which could easily fall into a sink or bath full of water. The exceptions to this would be for items designed specifically for use in bathrooms, these being items such as shavers and electric toothbrushes, even when using these, take extra care when plugging and unplugging and take care not to get these items wet.
  • Check the cords on electrical appliances to ensure the plug is securely in place and there is no obvious signs of damage on the cable itself. If any damage is found, do not use the appliance. Check items regularly.
  • Always turn electrical appliances off at the mains before attempting to carry out any maintenance such as changing a light bulb, cleaning filters on hair dryers etc. Only attempt repairs if you know what you are doing.
  • Ensure that when buying electrical items, they are bought from reputable stores and inspect the appliance before use. Ensure the instructions are followed for correct set up.
  • Do not use electrical appliances outside if it is raining.

Always ensure you use an ELECSA registered and Part P compliant electrician to carry out electrical work in your home and do not be tempted to carry out DIY electrical work yourself. By following these common sense rulse when using electrical equipment, you will minimise your risk of electric shock or fire breaking out in your home.

Regards Phil

Local electrician Cwmbran