This tip might seem a bit bizarre – after all a plug is something that we generally take for granted, so long as it contains the right fuse, all should be good right?
Unfortunately this is not always the case. The Electrical Safety Council (ESC) carried out some tests on plug tops in the UK. The ESC is a UK charity that is dedicated to keeping people safe by reducing the risk of electrical accidents around the home and in the workplace.
The plug tops in question had been purchased off the internet and many proved to be substandard – causing damage and burning to electrical sockets and in one instance a plug actually blew itself out of the socket with a bang. Someone would have been seriously injured had this happened in someone’s home.
The video is available to view by following this link: Dangerous Plugs
A further electrical tip is to ensure that all electrical appliances are used sensibly – when removing a plug from a socket, always pull the plug from the socket using the actual plug itself – never pull a plug from a socket by the cable and always check the cable before use for signs of damage. If you see any exposed cable, do not use as you could get an electric shock.
This might seem simple but the following scenarios I encounter regularly when working in clients houses throughout Cwmbran, Abergavenny and surrounding areas:
Items such as extension leads being taken into the bathroom (having been plugged in another room) and being used to power radios, hair dryers/straighteners and other small electrical appliances. If water from showers goes onto the plugs/extension lead or a hair dryer is dropped into a sink of water in error you are in very real danger of receiving a serious electrical injury – remember water and electricity don’t mix.
In kitchens I see wires trailing across oven tops, extension leads used to power washing machines and overloaded electrical sockets.
Remember a safe plug is not safe if used incorrectly!
If you in any doubt about the safety of any aspects of your electrics, please consult a qualified electrician. If your home has not had an electrical inspection within the last 5 years, now is an ideal time to ensure your home is electrically safe.
A qualified electrician is also happy to advice on the best use of electricity in your home – so whether you need some extra kitchen sockets to ensure you and your family are no longer at risk from electrical shock or some easy to access sockets in your living room so you don’t have to pull the cable to remove a plug from a socket out of reach behind the sofa.
Don’t delay, call your electrician today.